Skip to main content

HC: Changing name is a part of freedom of expression under Article 19 (1) (a) of the Constitution

 The Allahabad High Court has held that under freedom of expression a person cannot be stopped from changing his name. Renaming is part of freedom of expression. It is guaranteed in Article 19 (1) (a) of the Constitution.

“The right of freedom of expression guaranteed to the petitioner under Article 19 (1) (a), in the present case freedom of expression through change of name, cannot be denied to the petitioner and he is entitled to change his name.”

This order has been given by Justice Pankaj Bhatia while dealing with the petition filed by Kabir alias Rishu Jaiswal. The court has directed the CBSE to issue a new certificate to the petitioner in the name of Kabir Jaiswal in place of Rishu Jaiswal. Because the petitioner is entitled to change his name under freedom of expression.

The petitioner has submitted that he passed the high school examination from CBSE in the year 2011-13 and Inter exam in 2015 in the name of Rishu Jaiswal son Santosh Kumar Jaiswal. After this, the petitioner got a gazette notification and published notice and also submitted an application to the board to change his name to Kabir Jaiswal instead of Rishu.

On the basis of Gazette notification, his name has been changed to PAN card and Aadhar card. But the CBSC rejected the application for change of name in her educational certificates, saying that her name had not been changed in the school documents.The court has placed reliance on the judgment given by Supreme Court in the case of Rayaan Chawla and directed CBSC to issue a new certificate to the petitioner in the name of Kabir Jaiswal with in two month.


We are India’s Leading Law Firm

“The firm has always strives to create and implement innovative and effective methods of providing cost-effective, quality representation and services for our clients and will continue to meet and exceed the expectations of our valued clients.”


Get in Touch




NEW DELHI,, DELHI, 110058.


CALL: +91-9830333388.


Popular posts from this blog

INCOME TAX SECTION 32AD - Investment in new plant or machinery in notified backward areas in certain States

 Description (1) Where an assessee, sets up an undertaking or enterprise for manufacture or production of any article or thing, on or after the 1st day of April, 2015 in any backward area notified by the Central Government in this behalf, in the State of Andhra Pradesh or in the State of Bihar or in the State of Telangana or in the State of West Bengal, and acquires and installs any new asset for the purposes of the said undertaking or enterprise during the period beginning on the 1st day of April, 2015 and ending before the 1st day of April, 2020 in the said backward area, then, there shall be allowed a deduction of a sum equal to fifteen per cent of the actual cost of such new asset for the assessment year relevant to the previous year in which such new asset is installed. (2) If any new asset acquired and installed by the assessee is sold or otherwise transferred, except in connection with the amalgamation or demerger or re-organisation of business referred to in clause (xiii)or cla

Section 58B of The Advocates Act - Special provision relating to certain disciplinary proceedings

 Section 58B The Advocates Act Description (1) As from the 1st day of September, 1963, every proceeding in respect of any disciplinary matter in relation to an existing advocate of a High Court shall, save as provided in the first proviso to sub-section (2), be disposed of by the State Bar Council in relation to that High Court, as if the existing advocate had been enrolled as an advocate on its roll. (2) If immediately before the said date, there is any proceeding in respect of any disciplinary matter in relation to an existing advocate pending before any High Court under the Indian Bar Councils Act, 1926 (38 of 1926), such proceeding shall stand transferred to the State Bar Council in relation to that High Court, as if it were a proceeding pending before the corresponding Bar Council under clause (c) of sub-section (1) of section 56: Provided that where in respect of any such proceeding the High Court has received the finding of a Tribunal constituted under section 11 of the Indian B

60 Minute Marriage Counselling Session On Phone

Description A 60 minute phone call with an expert Marriage\Relationship Counselor to discuss your marriage\relationship related issues. Counselling aims to resolve issues and improve communication in a relationship. Couples’ counselling works with both people in the relationship, however sessions can start with one individual, working towards the involvement of the other partner. What's Included a) 60 minute phone call with the counselor where you can discuss all your issues and seek guidance. What's Not Included a) Counselling session via meeting